The Central Council meets once annually. In between the Central Council meetings, the Executive Committee is responsible for the day-to-day functioning of the Council. The Executive Committee meets, at minimum, five times a year.
- The Executive Committee consists of 10 seats divided equally between SALGA, the employer party, on the one hand, and SAMWU / IMATU, the trade union parties, on the other. In addition, each party is entitled to 2 technical advisors.
- SALGA has 5 representatives, IMATU 2 representatives, SAMWU 3 representatives.
- The Executive Committee has the power to:
- Perform any of the powers of the Central Council in between meetings of the Central Council and to further delegate such powers to Committees as it deems fit;
- Conclude any matter referred to it by the Central Council unless required otherwise by the Central Council;
- Establish Committees and determine their terms of reference;
- Manage the day-to-day business of the Council;
- Deal with matters relating to staffing;
- Decide on the manner in which matters referred to it by the Central Council shall be dealt with and, if necessary, refer any matter to a Committee for advice or recommendation; and
- The delegates shall annually appoint a chairperson from amongst the Party that does not enjoy the chairpersonship or vice-chairpersonship of the Central Council.